Thursday, July 31, 2008

Guarding your Heart

A friend reminded me today of the importance of guarding you heart.

A long time ago, I decided that movies with content that is of questionable content was just not for me. I get so uncomfortable in any rated R movie and many PG 13 movies too. It may come across as if I am, let's say. . . prudish . . .but that is not it. I am simply guarding my heart. . .it is that old adage "garbage in; garbage out." The same is true for the goodness of God. The word of God in; the word of God will come out. I would much rather spill over with God's goodness than the alternative.

Proverbs 4:23-27 says:
23 Guard your heart above all else,
for it determines the course of you life.
24 Avoid all perverse talk;
stay away from corrupt speech.
25 Look straight ahead,
and fix your eyes on what lies before you.
26 Mark out a straight path for your feet;
stay on the safe path.
27 Don't get sidetracked;
keep your feet from following evil.


Sometimes making the decision to guard your heart isn't easy. What will your friends say/think/talk about behind your back? But in the end, it doesn't matter, because we will have pleased our Heavenly Father.

Thanks friend, I needed that!

No comments: